Sunday 11 October 2009

Pen to Paper

Research

To start off I cut/ tore headline and articles as well as images from newspapers, of which had relevance to my interests and the sort
of news that I took notice to.



From the collages I then decided to Brainstorm the ideas which would then hopefully lead me to create my own Political Cartoons.




To understand the task in hand and what exactly a political cartoon entailed, I decided to create a quick mind map to deconstruct the topic...


After familiarising myself with the concepts of the 'toons, I moved on to see what current issues could be found from the newspapers and their corresponding websites. I also made another mind mad in order to see what ideas branched of the main sub-topic... I found to really develop some of my ideas instead of drawings or small sketches, that a more detailed caption helped express what a I really meant or the full extent of quick ideas. Getting down as much information as I could would help me in the long-run...


With my initial ideas brainstormed I wanted to move on to looking at cartoons in papers and looking carefully at the relation in which they held with the topic of interest.
For the first trial of creating a cartoon, Although an obvious choice of topic, I chose 'Leadership'. There has been an abundance of news lately regarding the conferences in Brighton with Labour failing with the public rather dismally...


I really liked this image due to the satirical edge that it bought. Gordon Brown is clearly not seen as a hero at the moment especially in relation to the down spiraling economy. Therefore even considering incorporating the two concepts together seem laughable!




I also deconstructed various cartoons from an array of papers to understand the concepts behind them.


Looking at a different sort of Political Toon (almost comic strip like) I liked how this particular example told a story, it was easy to follow and you automatically got the message, which was obviously the intention of the creator as well as creating a funny/ satirical allusion from a serious topic. Its comforting to know your able to laugh at something you should feel angered or worried about, I think this is subconsciously how we're meant to deal with issues such as these.

I had a rough idea of the theme I'd like the first political cartoon to run along. A simple mind map allowed to me branch my ideas further for a possible concept.



With having found some example of 'working political cartoons' in newspapers I decided to sketch a rough idea for one of my political cartoons. Depending on how the final concept looked I chose one of the broader topics - Gordon Browns Woes, (Leadership). The information was accessible from the newspapers as well as Internet sites such as - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/default.stm



The cuttings from the newspaper allowed me to compile this cartoon/collage...




We all know that Gordon Browns not having the best time at the moment... so taking things literal a 'party pooper' seemed like a fitting phrase. The classic mouth expression added to the familiarity to the cartoon. The background is a cutting from the Express showing how well each leader has performed... Maybe the fact that Gordon Brown's stats are hidden isn't such a bad idea...

With the methodology of creating a cartoon as such understood I could now move on to placing the cartoon in a paper alongside other articles. When doing this I'll have to think carefully about the paper choice depending on the seriousness/ concept of the theme. An article such as this, would personally be featured in a tabloid such as The Mirror or The Daily Express.

I found quite a substantial article regarding Gordon Brown so I thought it would be ideal for me to feature my political cartoon in there.



Even though I think the match between the paper to the cartoon is better than expected, I'm not keen on leaving as bland. I quite like the idea of having the article as a whole much more retro and distinguished. I would achieve this with the use of altering the exposure and contrast. I think this will make the article more 'Matter of fact' and up to date...

I wouldn't have thought the image would have looked quite so good but I'm really pleased with how the end cartoon has been compiled.


No comments:

Post a Comment